Friday, June 17, 2011

8 Reasons to See and Love SUPER 8

The first official blockbuster film I’ve seen this summer (aside from Bridesmaids), and I’m head over heels again. Seeing this movie just fuels my love for good story-telling, great effects, and just an overall great film! Here are the 8 reasons why I loved Super 8, and hopefully they’re 8 reasons for you to see for yourself.

8.) Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass”
Sure, this song has nothing to with the movie, but I can’t help but sing this song in my head whenever someone says SUPER 8. It’s a great song, and there is just no stopping Nicki Minaj!

7.) The Music Soundtrack
From “My Sharona” to “Heart of Glass”, even throwing in some “Le Freak”, nothing captured the movie’s setting and time better than the music in my opinion!

6.) The Un-official Steven Spielberg Biography
It was divine intervention that I saw this movie today! I finally registered for my Fall classes at ASU and happened to snag the last open spot in a very exciting Spielberg/Lucas film class. What’s more inspiring than remembering how Steven Spielberg got his start with Universal Studios and filmmaking?!! It took a lot of persistence and perseverance. It was great to see such a wonderful tribute to the upbringing of Steven Spielberg and his passion as a kid for creating his own super 8 films and getting started with filmmaking in general. Nothing against J.J. Abrams (who speaking of which, does a FANTASTIC job writing and directing!) but it was all about the ode to Spielberg!

5.) Through it all, there’s a lot of heart
The lessons about compassion and human interaction were amazing! I’m not going to give anything away, but let’s just say I had a few tears (yes, of course I did)!

4.) Forgiveness…is more than saying sorry
Again, I’m afraid to give anything away. But just know that there’s a beautiful message about forgiveness. It was very sincere and beautiful (another moment for tears with me)!

3.) The Film Within a Film
Don’t leave the theater so soon! Stick around during the credits for the genius super 8 film the kids make during the film itself! It’s sad to say that it looks better than Ryan Reynolds in Green Lantern! It’s a great way to OFFICIALLY end the movie.

2.) The kids are amazing!
My all-time favorite movie is The Goonies (coincidence that it’s also produced by Steven Spielberg?). I also enjoy movies like Stand by Me, Now and Then, or even Diary of a Wimpy Kid where the kids are the real stars of the film. Aside from the other Fanning, Elle (who is superb by the way) it’s great to see such talented, unknown kid actors (or shall I say, young teens). They really are the driving force and the heart of what the film is about. Their delivery, their characters, their personalities, their excellent comedic timing, and their spirit of innocence is what really inspires the message in the end of the film!

1.) Looking for just a great, fun, entertaining summer blockbuster?
Then you’re going to the right place seeing Super 8! It reminds me of classic films like The Goonies, E.T., or even Indiana Jones! From start to finish, and when all is said and done, it’s more than just a great summer blockbuster. It has humor, heart, amazing special effects, and everything else you can think of!

From what I’ve seen so far on my summer movie list, here’s the ranking from best to worst:
1.) Super 8
2.) Bridesmaids
3.) The Hangover: Part 2 (wish it could already be down at like #15)

No comments:

Post a Comment