Friday, August 5, 2011

It's Sexy...and Romantic! ("Crazy Stupid Love" Review)

FINALLY! It’s about time we get a decent romantic comedy that is never predictable, and more geared toward an older crowd! Here’s my quick rundown on everything Crazy Stupid Love.

THE CRAZY
- Marisa Tomei doesn’t look a day over 46! And man does she serve up the crazy!
- Ryan Gosling’s abs…’nuff said!

THE STUPID
- I only have one thing to say, and it’s something that was put to rest well into the movie. I went into this movie with reservations about someone simply giving up and getting bored in a relationship (especially a 25-year marriage). Is it so hard for a movie to correctly portray a marriage that lasts a long time without a bitter split or cheating spouses? My parents have been married for 30 years now, high school sweethearts with 4 kids, 2 grandkids and more on the way! It can happen Hollywood!

THE LOVELY
- Steve Carell in yet another touching, middle-aged man performance. (Somewhere in the middle of the humor from "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and the honesty from "Dan in Real Life")
- Emma Stone’s personality and genuine maturity driving her performance.

There's so much from the movie I don’t want to give away, which is why this post seems a little too short. There's a lot going on throughout, but it's all worth the trouble in the end. Just trust me when I say: it’s a smart, funny, and very romantic movie that surely will not disappoint!

THE BOTTOM LINE
I've now seen this movie 3 times, each time feeling the same thing. (Shout out to Krystin Newman and ma sista Marissa!) It's just such a great movie! My heart starts beating faster everytime one of the very "special moments" happens. I love Hannah & Jacob's first night together, and I love when Emily calls Cal. It's a well-written, well-acted, overall great movie that captures so much honesty and love in just 2 hours!
As far as Golden Globe talk, I'm expecting there to be a Best Picture, Best Actor (Steve Carell), and Best Screenplay nominations. We'll see what the Oscars have to offer too...

Summer Movie Ranking…AS OF 08/27/11:
1.) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Pt. 2 (A+)
2.) Super 8 (A+)
3.) Bridesmaids (A+)
4.) Crazy Stupid Love (A+)
5.) Horrible Bosses (A)
6.) The Help (A)
6.) Friends With Benefits (B+)
7.) Kung Fu Panda (B+)
8.) The Change-Up (B)
9.) Mr. Popper’s Penguins (B)
10.) Bad Teacher (B-)
11.) The Hangover Part II (C)

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie and totally agree that it is unpredictable(which is why I love it)! Great review and rating. Definitely one of my favorites this summer!!

    ReplyDelete