Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas Music Top 20 Countdown: #20-#16

I tried my best to come up with just a Top 10 list of the best (and my personal favorite Christmas songs). But man oh man was that impossible. So I went with the next best thing: 20! And it works out perfectly with the First Sunday of Advent! Each week for every Sunday of Advent, I’ll be posting 5 songs from my Christmas Music Top 20 Countdown. So here is to Christmas songs #20-16.

20.) “What’s This?”
The Nightmare Before Christmas
It’s the smartest film, in the sense that it works for both Halloween and Christmas! While it’s mostly associated with Halloween, you can’t forget this Jack Skeleton tune of Christmas discovery.

19.) “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays”
*NSYNC
‘Twas the night before I posted this blog and a dear friend of mine reminded me of this timeless classic (thanks Jencine!) In all of its cheesy glory, we can’t forget *NSYNC back in their good ol’ days, riding in a sleigh with cheesy green screen effects in the background. And who can forget good ol’ Gary Coleman as a black elf? RIP

18.) “Christmas Time Is Here”
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Let the torches be lit and the pitchforks be sharpened for what I’m about to say: I’ve never really been a Charlie Brown fan. I mean I played Snoopy in Mesa High’s You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown my junior year, but it never really meant I was head over heels in love with the whole gang. There is something so depressing about all of these grown up little kids. Every special feels so down in the dumps sad. But I will say though that this song is beautiful. Simple as that: just beautiful…

17.) “My Favorite Things”
Diana Ross & The Supremes
Technically this isn’t considered a Christmas song, but it was recorded like one way back in the day for A Motown Christmas back in 1973 (a must have for all the greats, including Stevie Wonder’s version of “Ave Maria”). The Sound of Music is a classic favorite of mine, but this Motown cover captures all the favorite things about the holiday season. Well I’m sure that girls in white dresses and blue satin sashes aren’t everyone’s favorite things, so we’ll say that this gets us to start thinking about our favorite things during the holiday season.
DISCLAIMER: While the video also includes their cover of "Silent Night", only "My Favorite Things" is being included for the countdown. Just keep that mind since a different version of "Silent Night" is on the countdown later...

16.) “A ‘DC’ Christmas Medley”
Destiny’s Child
In the spirit of including an *NSYNC Christmas song, it’s only right that I include the fabulous Destiny’s Child (post-Survivor, pre-BeyoncĂ© solo career…so it was a golden time for the trio). Just about everyone you know has done a Christmas album, but it’s important to stay true to your own style of music, modernize as much as possible, and never lose your trademarks. Destiny’s Child is known for their playful melodies and fast lyrics, as well as for their harmonies and vocal rifts. This is the perfect example of why Destiny’s Child’s Christmas album is a guilty pleasure of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment