Friday, September 21, 2012

All I Want For Christmas Are THESE Songs! (The Top 10 Best from Season 3)

In an up and down season like Season 3, there were quite a few amazing covers to choose from. Here’s my list of simply the best!


10.) “Without You”
From the episode Yes/No
A song when Rachel ISN’T squealing! This slightly stripped down version (kind of reminiscent of any OneRepublic or Ryan Tedder-produced song) was heartfelt and beautiful.

9.) “Somebody That I Used To Know”
From the episode Big Brother
This was around the time that this song finally started to make sense to me. I got the appeal finally! And of course it was an interesting storyline to sing it with. Never mind the fact that I have to show love for my love, Matt Bomer.

8.) “Constant Craving”
From the episode I Kissed A Girl
I just love this song in general to begin with! But then you add Santana AND Shelby’s voices in harmony together? AMAZE BALLS! Well, not balls I guess for THIS episode…

7.) “Cool”
From the episode Asian F
Finally, Mike Chang CAN sing! When they said in the second season that we would get to hear him sing, I was greatly disappointed when it was song where he HAD to be off-key and horrible. But then along comes more Mike Chang in season 3 and this amazing arc for the school production of West Side Story. Mix in the amazing dance skills with this “cool” and strong vocals, Mike Chang officially has everything!

6.) “I Will Always Love You”
From the episode Heart
You’ll soon find out with rest of this list that Mercedes was easily my favorite part of this season. With this song, it was bittersweet and ironic that it was filmed weeks in advance before Whitney Houston’s death, and that it happened to air just days after. This was a touching and beautiful moment (as are most of Mercedes’ singing moments on the show). You can’t compare ANYONE’S version of this song to Whitney Houston’s, but this comes pretty close!

5.) “All I Want For Christmas Is You”
From the episode Extraordinary Merry Christmas
How do you make me love my all-time favorite Christmas song even more? Just change up the music and beat a little…AND HAVE MERCEDES SING IT FOR ME! It has a kind of Mark Ronson-production quality to it with those amazing vocals. This was easily the BEST moment from the Christmas episode!

4.) “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”
From the episode Yes/No
Glee doesn’t have to re-make EVERY newly released song. What works best and when they get it right most of the time is when they take classic beautiful songs like this Roberta Flack gem and amplify it gently. What do I mean by that? Just watch the video! It’s a heartfelt moment in these ladies’ lives to reminisce on the first time they met their love. And what better way to be beautiful than having the BEST voices from the show harmonize together!

3.) “Something’s Coming”
From the episode I Am Unicorn
My most favorite elements are all included in this song. 1) West Side Story is my favorite musical of all time. 2) Blaine doesn’t have those Warbler’s attached to him anymore. 3) Darren Criss is a charismatic fox! 4) That note at the end!

2.) “How Will I Know”
From the episode Dance With Somebody
One of the upsides of Whitney Houston’s unfortunate death was that her acapella version of this 80’s dance song was discovered and brought to everyone’s attention. It was a chance for everyone to truly hear just what a great vocalist she was and how beautiful her voice sounded. In true Glee fashion, they caught onto that version and turned into a heartfelt tribute to start off the Whitney episode. These ladies (yes, Kurt too) sound amazing together!

1.) “Rumour Has It/Someone Like You”
From the episode Mash Off
The official mash off episode every season is something to remember. Not to mention that the mash ups have been included in other episodes outside of this traditional episode. This one certainly tops them all in my book! I’ve said time and time again that ADELE is a tough artist to re-do. You just can’t re-do ADELE! Holly Holliday (Gwyneth Paltrow) tried, but it was too weak. Rachel and Jesse made an attempt, but they failed miserably. Here is where Santana and Mercedes FINALLY got it right! Just watch in amazement like I do when I get to hear these two ladies sing together!

No comments:

Post a Comment