Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Have A Love (for West Side Story)

It all started when I was 3. One of the first movies I can remember seeing (besides The Godfather) was West Side Story. When my favorite number “America” would come on the screen, I would take my sister’s white doll dress, slip it on, and dance with Rita Moreno on the screen, kicking my leg, flapping around, and performing it for anyone who would watch. 
Since that moment, not only have I wanted to be a performer, but I also have been waiting to see this production in person. Last night, I finally had my chance to see it. There were a few disappointments, but overall, it was a spectacular performance!

The Dancing
Really? I got to see ALL of the original choreography I used to see in the film growing up?! WHAAAT!? It blew my mind with how spot on the dancing was. Everyone was just extraordinary, so committed and so fun to watch! “Gee, Officer Krupke” was definitely vulgar and dirty and may not have been everyone’s cup of tea, but I loved every second of it. It was creative and hilarious from start to finish. Yes, I did cry in the opening sequence, my heart was beating so much in excitement during the dance at the gym, and the little gay boy inside was dancing and kicking his leg high up in the air during “America”.

The Singing
All of The Jets did a great job, Riff had a solid power voice, Anita was incredible to listen to, but then we get to the leads, and it all seemed to go downhill. We’ll start with the easy one first, Maria. Adorable, cute, and what a sight to look at, but her voice at times sounded like a cat screeching in the middle of the night! And let’s not even get into Tony…yes…TONY, THE FRIGGIN’ LEAD! With way too much vibrato, notes that should be belted were whispered and sucked in, and not to mention the number of sharps and flats throughout, he was just a hot mess (literally, he was hot, but the vocals were a mess). And just like a really good friend of mine there the same night said to me, I was expecting to hear a Darren Criss singing voice, since after all, the night before I got to see him belt out an impeccable rendition of “Something’s Coming” on Glee.
Tony just didn’t live up to my expectations, and it doesn’t take a music major or anything to hear the awkwardness and pitch problems.

Final Critiques
It was a different experience seeing it performed live. I’m so used to seeing it on my TV, and there certainly were differences I had to get used to. For instance in “America”, it’s only the women singing. I get that this is how it was originally on stage before the film version, but the give and take in the song works better with Bernardo and Anita alone. And as good of an idea as it sounded, mixing in actual Spanish into “I Feel Pretty” and “A Boy Like That” for this revival version certainly didn’t do much to change it. I’m not trying to sound like a racist or anything, but it just didn’t fit or mesh well.

Overall
Regardless of the things I didn’t like or creative decisions I didn’t agree with, it still was a dream come true to be sitting in the audience with my mom, watching my childhood dreams come true! This is the musical that sparked my passion for performing, in a doll dress and all. And seeing it last night on stage, there was still more passion sparked inside of me. Thank you Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim for creating such a timeless piece of art with a message that rings true even today!

P.S.
Vanity Fair did an amazing spread in 2009 when Broadway brought the West Side Story revival. The spread featured Hollywood stars in pivotal scenes from the musical (including Jennifer Lopez, Chris Evans, and Camilla Belle). Take a look for yourself, because if they ever do a film remake, this would be THE perfect cast!

No comments:

Post a Comment