Saturday, February 4, 2012

Second Chance Saturday: Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel


 Mariah Carey has certainly changed over the years. From her early days of big hair and power ballads, to the R&B princess, to the stiletto-wearing sex-kitten, to Glitter breakdown, to comeback, to diva, every album offers a little something different. Her last album (excluding Merry Christmas II) failed to produce hit singles like it should have, but that’s why I created Second Chance Saturday, so other people who may not know this album even existed can now give it the attention it deserves!
After her back-to-back comeback with The Emancipation of Mimi and E=MC², she came back swinging with the hater-calling-out “Obsessed”. She’s always had some weird tiff with Eminem. Whether they’ve actually gotten together romantically in the past or not, it certainly makes for some interesting music battles. This time around, Mariah Carey went so far as to dress up like him in the music video. I mean, I don’t remember Eminem ever having a goatee, but whatever helped! The song was catchy, auto-tuned, and memorable.
The next single (which I admit is actually the only forgettable song on the album) was her cover of “I Want To Know What Love Is”. That’s all…
But then we finally get somewhere with her third single “H.A.T.E.U.”. From the signature Tricky Stewart sound, to the slow rhythm, and the whisper vocals, everything was so sweet and beautiful. It’s a shame that it didn’t get the success it deserved.
And after the first three singles failed to make it big, they started plans for a re-release with guests on every song. The first single was “Up Out My Face” with the emerging star that was Nicki Minaj! It was cute, upbeat, and lots of fun, but once again it failed to make a lasting impression.
So they went ahead with another single in “Angels Cry” featuring Ne-Yo. It was classic-styled Mariah Carey song, in the same field as “We Belong Together” and “I Stay in Love”. But sadly, it didn’t have the same power. Beautiful, poignant, and rich!
With the singles aside, the album from start to finish is impeccable (well, minus the last song which is “I Want To Know What Love Is”). Everything flows together so wonderfully and is literally music to my ears!
In a nutshell: we have the haunting “Betcha Gon’ Know (The Prologue)”, the sweet and tasty “Candy Bling”, the ruff-rider gem “Ribbon”, the lovely memories in “Inseparable”, the strong-willed independence in “Standing O”, the drunk diva fierceness in “It’s a Wrap”, the bumping rider “More Than Just Friends”, the slow grind seduction in “The Impossible”, the part 2 seduction with “The Impossible (The Reprise)”, the heavenly “Angel (The Prelude)”, and the bittersweet closer “Languishing (The Prelude)”.
After a two-album winning streak, this one failed to live up to its predecessors. But it was impeccable and beautiful in every way possible, which is why it is so heartbreaking that it wasn’t a huge success like it should be. I remember when it was released that it came up in 3rd place behind Paramore and Barbra Streisand. I love listening to new music and going back to it later and reminiscing about the time I first listened to it. I love when music can take you back to a time and place. This album for me is one of the standouts in my memory that takes me back to my first semester outside of high school. I was working, going to school, and getting to spend time with my family and friends. I was also listening to this album around the same time that I “came out” to my family and friends in November 2009. So needless to say, there is some great significance to this album. I’m still pulling for that remix album that was never released (guests were supposed to include Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys, R. Kelly, Ludacris, Jodeci, and Kanye West among others). Here’s to hoping for another big comeback for the one and only Mariah!

No comments:

Post a Comment