Tuesday, December 13, 2011

GLEE REVIEW: It's A Very Scary, Not So Extraordinary Christmas

Just when I think Glee is getting back on its feet from that disaster of a second season, they just had to have another Christmas special. That’s not to say that EVERYTHING was bad…

The Good
We’ll get to the songs that lasted forever that probably shouldn’t have a little later, but one song that I wanted to see the whole performance of? “All I Want For Christmas Is You”! My favorite Christmas song was sung so beautifully by the wonderful Amber Riley, and she did Mariah Carey justice! You can definitely tell that Mercedes was singing that with Sam in mind!
Seeing Trouty Mouth back on the show just makes me feel complete! That’s all…
Lord knows I love when Sue dishes it out: “Wheels, Porcelain, Other Gay”. But I love it even more for the rare episodes and moments when she actually has a heart (unlike that ridiculous Sue the Grinch storyline last year).
Let’s not forget Rory O’Flannagan’s special moment singing “Blue Christmas” while also reading us the true story of Christmas. You know that one with Jesus being born and all? You remember it, don’t you?
And the idea of doing a Christmas special WITHIN a Christmas special was Precious Clarice Jones. Again, let me emphasize that the IDEA was precious. Much like when Sue did the “Vogue” music video in season 1, or even this past season getting to witness the kids perform West Side Story, it’s always a nice break from the actual storylines. But now here comes Vinny the Grinch to spoil the joy…

The Bad
While the idea of doing an old-fashioned Christmas special sounds like a good idea, it went on for way too long. I wouldn’t have minded if they performed the Christmas songs from this most recent Christmas album that I actually listen to on a regular basis this season (which really is only “All I Want For Christmas Is You”). Instead, they bore us with the gay version of “Let It Snow” that didn’t seem like it would ever end. And never mind the fact that they dragged on “My Favorite Things”, and even set aside time for my least favorite of the bunch (Finn) to sing on his own too with Puckerman.
And what was up with Rachel? Just when we were starting to get close again, she has to turn into little miss diva with her 15-item Christmas list for Finn. Come on now girlfriend!
And while I do enjoy Christmas (it just happens to be my favorite time of year), this episode followed in the same tradition as last year’s Christmas episode, in being that it really has nothing to do whatsoever with anything else happening all season. I want to end the mid-season on a high note like the first season did with their amazing Sectionals performance (“Don’t Rain on My Parade” anyone?)
Here’s to hoping that this was just a tiny hiccup in what is still a very strong season so far.

What to Look Forward To
The cast filmed at Venice High School (my parents' alma mater where they happened to be attending as Grease was being filmed). Not only does it have a special tie for us in our family, but being a big fan of Grease and seeing as how it looks like they’ll be doing a little Grease tribute of some sort, I’m definitely looking forward to it.
Not to mention the fact that it looks like everyone’s favorite couple is long overdue for a proposal. So here’s to wishing the best for Will and Emma!
And let us certainly not forget that come January, Gloria Estefan will be playing Santana’s mom and Ricky Martin will be the new Spanish teacher! It’s a spicy version of almost every gay man’s dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment